Tuesday, October 11, 2005

 

Super Productive Week

Helloooo! :)

I went into super productive mode last week... I made some adjustments to the re-scaped 4ft tank; stripped down my snail infested shrimp cum fish holding tank; set up a temporary 14" terrarium for some of my newts, some snails and a frog using the stripped tank; set up a 1ft cube tank for my endlers and shrimps; set up another 1ft cube tank in my office for female bettas and set up a temporary holding tank for a pair of young white female bettas... *Phew*... People will think I dun have a proper job! :D

Ok, some updates...

1) I re-vamped my land hermit tank (Yes, did that about 1 week before the super productive week... :)) The new terrarium is supposed to be dryer but yet is able to maintain humidity...

The new look (Check archives for the old look).

The substrate looks thicker cos of the drainage layers I had added. The hermit crabs still try to dig... esp trying to dig out all the dried moss I had stuffed at the sides... But at least the gravel is not as soggy as before... More healthy for them...

I also added 5 hermits bought from the LFS. Problem is they were not in good condition as they were kept partially in water for some time... 3 died in a week... The other 2 looks ok. The older 7 (yes, it was 5... my friend gave me 2 last month after he decided to concentrate on fish...) from Taiwan are still in good shape.

Did I mention this? One of the hermits molted!... So cute... Now waiting for the others to molt...

2) I am in the process of finding good nice piece(s) of wood for the new scape's left side (and maybe some more wood for the right side)... Need them to complete the scape... But difficult to find nice ones leh... Maybe I am too choosy... Anyway, made some change to the scape:

3) My new tank for Endler's Livebearers and shrimps:

One of the male Endler’s Livebearer

The Endler’s Livebearers look like wild guppies, except that they are smaller, have brighter colours, more rare and thus more expensive…


Specs:1ft x 1ft x 1ft tank, no CO2, hang on filter. Lighting was for a 16" tank but will be using a 9W PL light soon.

Using Seachem Flourish, Seachem Potassium and Tetra Florapride as initial fert.

Flora:
Limnophilia sessiflora
Hemianthus micranthemoides (MM)
Hydrocotyle leucocephala or Cardamine lyrata(pennywort)
Eleocharis acicularis (hairgrass)
Elatine triandra (APP)
Echinodorus tenellus
Pelia
Java moss
Marimo ball
Limnobium sp. (Floating plant)

Thinking of adding Bacopa monnieri...

Fauna:
Endler's livebearer (currently 2 pairs and 6 babies of Orange Chest strain)
Red-nose shrimps
Cherry shrimps
Snails (2 x horned and 4 x red ramshorn snails… will be adding more)

There are some baby normal ramshorn and pouch snails that I am trying to get rid of…

4) My new female betta tank:

Specs:1ft x 1ft x 1ft tank, no CO2, hang on filter. Lighting using a 9W PL light soon.

Using Tetra Florapride anf PlantGrow from Flora Care as initial fert.

Flora:
Hemianthus micranthemoides (MM)
Hydrocotyle leucocephala or Cardamine lyrata(pennywort)
Eleocharis acicularis (hairgrass)
Elatine triandra (APP)
Echinodorus tenellus
Pelia
Java moss
Limnobium sp. (Floating plant)

Fauna:
Female betta (currently 4x, will be adding more)
Red-nose shrimps
Snails (2 x horned and lots of baby pouch snails…)

I had added a khuli loach… But no idea where it is now…

If you had noticed, the 2 tanks looked similar… Probably due to the use of the same type of flora and tank… Also, the set up is done within a couple of days of setting up the first…

5) The temporary 14” terrarium for newts, snails and a frog:

I wanna add a small pump for water circulation, add wood and emersed Java moss to complete the set up… Now finding space in my room for it… Running out of table space liao!! :)

Anyway, now I have a total of 7 tanks (excluding the temporary holding tank mentioned earlier for the 2 female white betas)… It is less than the peak, when I had 11-14 tanks under my care… But then this time, all 7 are mine! 6 are at home (4 in my room) and 1 in office… I MUST be crazy… :p


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?